10 Home Inspection Tips
by Ike Paxton, CPI - 10 Home Inspection Tips
We have compiled a list of the top ten things you can do to help make sure your home inspection goes smoothly. So here we go:
- Confirm that all the utilities are turned on, including the pilot lights.
- Make sure your pets won't hinder your home inspection. Ideally they should be removed from the premises or secured outside. Tell your agent about any pets at home.
- Replace burnt out light bulbs to avoid a "light is inoperable" mark on your report, that may suggest an electrical problem.
- Test smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, and replace all batteries.
- Clean or replace dirty HVAC air filters. They should fit securely.
- Remove debris, wood and stored items from around the foundation. These may be cited as "conducive conditions for" termites.
- Remove items blocking access to HVAC equipment, electrical service panels, the water heater, attic and crawlspace.
- Unlock any locked areas or doors that I must access.
- Trim tree limbs so that they're at least 10 ft. away from the roof. Trim any shrubs that are touching or too close to the house.
- Repair or replace any broken or missing items, such as doorknobs, locks, latches, window panes or screens, gutters or down spouts or chimney caps.